The place of Cubieres, (Cupiera
< ?latin cupa = coupe), basin where 3 rivers le Cinoble,
l'Embourdier et le Saouzé, rejoin the Agly's river, has been probably an
attractive and natural area installation for the primitive human being .
most of fossils, different caves
around, its Dolmens, vestiges of Gallic-roman and medieval building
can attest that successive civilisations have been there and
we can find several sign of them walking around .
what only we know about the
history of Cubières come for the essential from archives of
the abbey of 9th century (we
have lost all information of it after 1639) or from the inquisition
questioning which reveal some part of medieval story of the last perfect
cathare, BELIBASTE , born in
1280 in Cubieres.
It wasn't exiting lord's castle in
Cubières but a large house looking like a manor house and called
" the castle" ,
along several centuries, property of the archbishops of Narbonne
The village was built on the old
place of an Abbey and his present Name was appeared around 1781.its
inhabitants are called ' cubiérols & cubiéroles'
The village counted near than 300
inhabitants during 19thcentury, today they are 73 . ( 64 in 1999)
the limits of the village are large
( about 1500 ha) and include hamlet like the Baillessats (?<
vails= de la vallée, ou < valat = fossé) with nearly 30 persons
living there; some isolated housing indicate that probably farm were built
there which would have prosperous activities around the abbey using the
large grazing land ( wooden place today).
The connection roads were
essentially on the axe east/west, using the old road gethering Tuchan to
Peyrolles crossing cubieres & Rennes les Bains.
To the north the only way to
Fourtou is now a hiking track
To the south it was a very narrow
mule track through the Gorges of Galamus , transformed in circulation
way only at the end of the 19th century to join St Paul de